Hindsight suggests that in 1959 Porsche might have been better served by concentrating on either
Formula cars or the sports/racing Spyders but not both. But then hindsight also indicates that Jean Behra
momentarily had a better F-II idea than did Porsche. This was the car.
A star of the Maserati team from 1955 until the Italian factory withdrew from racing in 1957, Behra
had spent 1958 racing for BRM in Formula I and for Porsche in sports car events. Successful in the latter,
Behra’s experience with BRM’s lack of reliability had been maddening. For 1959 he signed as Ferrari’s
number one Grand Prix driver – and, no doubt based on his 1958 Reims F-II success in the center-steer
factory RSK, decided to build a true single-seater Formula II Porsche. A favorable deal was worked out with
Ferry Porsche for purchase of a car; Valerio Colotti, erstwhile Maserati design engineer, was enlisted to help.
Whereas Porsche’s own Formula II car featured the coil spring and wishbone rear suspension that
had been tried on an RSK Spyder at Sebring, Behra went with the original swing axles. The rear track was
narrowed by two inches. Up front, torsion bars and their carrying tubes were narrower by five inches.
Front/rear track now measured 46.9/47.6 inches. The new body, hammered out of aluminum in Modena, was
significantly less bulbous than Porsche’s version.
Ironically, although “tremendous fun” was Behra’s stated reason for his F-II effort, he had little of it
in either the Pau or Auvergne races, where the car was tremendously fast but did not finish. For Reims – the
biggest and most important F-II event of the 1959 season – he offered the wheel to Hans Herrmann, and to
good effect indeed. Faster than the factory Porsches in practice, the Porsche-Behra placed second only to
Stirling Moss’ Cooper-Borgward after a race-long battle. While Ferry Porsche regarded the result
sanguinely, it did not sit at all well with Enzo Ferrari, whose entire team of new Formula II racers had just
been defeated by his number one driver’s car. Behra and Ferrari parted company. Tragically, Behra was
killed almost immediately thereafter driving an RSK Spyder at the Avus in Berlin. He had also entered his
Photos – Peter Harholdt
Briggs Cunningham was one of the first to use two-way radios at Le Mans in 1950 by installing them in both the LeMonstre and the Petit Pataud. You can see both cars at Revs. Learn more