Of the eight Scarab racers built, brain-children of 22-year-old Lance Reventlow − whose father was
a European count, whose mother was heiress to the Woolworth fortune, and whose wife at the time was
actress Jill St. John − four were astounding successes and four were spectacular failures. An intensely
competitive racer, Reventlow recognized that the European racing factories always kept the latest racing
models for their own teams and that only by producing his own car could he achieve technical equality.
Thus, in Warren Olson’s sports car shop in West Los Angeles, Reventlow commenced building an
American car to take European long-distance racing by storm. A 301-cubic-inch overbored version of
Chevrolet’s small block 283 V-8 seemed right married to a Corvette four-speed gearbox. This powertrain
was mounted in a light 127-pound space frame chassis wrapped with an aluminum skin to the configuration
you see. The resulting racer was spectacular. Early testing showed the efficacy of the tapered-shim
adjustable de Dion rear suspension, a clever innovation by Dick Troutman. Engine stroke was quickly
increased to enlarge displacement to 339 cubic inches.
Alas, between creation of the Scarab concept and reality, the European sports car rules were
changed to permit engines only up to 183 cubic inches (3.0 liters). An Offy engine was tried in the third
Scarab − the car on display − but with the dismal results Briggs Cunningham suffered when he tried the same
thing in his C6R Le Mans car. Said Scarab development engineer Chuck Daigh of the Offy: “It was 100
pounds heavier than the Chevy and had 100 horsepower less.” So the Chevy went into this car too − and in
1958 the Scarabs went racing, but only in the U.S., Daigh and Reventlow driving. No car was more
successful in SCCA B-Modified during this period.
Scarab sports-racers remained competitive well into the 1960s, long after Reventlow had retired
from the scene. The cars were victors twice: over the best that Europe had to offer during the front-engined
era and then again when the “technically superior” European rear-engined cars came on the scene. That’s
Photos – Peter Harholdt
Briggs Cunningham was one of the first to use two-way radios at Le Mans in 1950 by installing them in both the LeMonstre and the Petit Pataud. You can see both cars at Revs. Learn more